Deployment Zones - HQ / "Soldier" / Combined

BA Nimzomitch

08 Jan 2008, 02:19 #1

Just an idea, I don't know if it.s been brought up before...
I was thinking it would be cool for the map creator to have 3 different kinds of DZs to use. One for HQs only, one for "Soldiers" only, and one that allows either (like now).Image Image ImageDA's left nut

pickupsticks

08 Jan 2008, 02:36 #2

How would these affect Spawn?

BA Nimzomitch

08 Jan 2008, 15:54 #3

Good point - That would have to be sorted out.
But since they have mobile "HQs" anyway, it mightn't matter so much...? I don't know...it's not like it was a fully formed idea or anything...just an idle thought which I wanted to put down before it strayed away like so many of it's siblings...
I had this thought when reading that JC wanted to do a really, really large map. Image Image ImageDA's left nut

pickupsticks

08 Jan 2008, 16:15 #4

I think that someone suggested a while ago having limits to the number of FP allowed within a deployment zone... could combine well with this.

valkea

08 Jan 2008, 17:14 #5

I actually don't see why the same thing couldn't work with spawn: queens in hq-deployment areas only, others in the others only.
ImageLSN NAME: valkea LOCATION:: Finland, GMT +2 ALLIANCE: Rogue Element.Image
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
ImageImage
"Scanners scan, missiles spam, the rest is mopping up."
LSN NAME: valkea LOCATION:: Finland, GMT +2 ALLIANCE: Rogue
Element.

Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image

"Scanners scan, missiles spam, the rest is mopping up." Image

General Strike

09 Jan 2008, 23:31 #6

The problem might then be that your opponent would have an even better idea of where your HQs would be - so missile and sniper spamming of those areas would be a more valuable tactic.
Map makers already seem to achieve this feature by clever placing of barrels and chairs. Often what seems like a big building to put an HQ in turns out to be for troops only due to small scenery items. The remaining areas then effectively become the only places to put an HQ - on some maps these are so restrictive to effectively force HQ positions.LSN Name: General Strike | League: Elite | Alliance Clan: 99ers(Captain) | Time Zone: GMT
Holder of record for shortest time in elite (0 games)
One League to rule them all
One League whence to find them
One League to rate them all
Elite to Rookie, Grind them
(With apologies to J.R.R.Tolkien)
ImageImageImageImage
LSN Name: General Strike | League: Elite | Alliance Clan: 99ers(Captain) | Time Zone: GMT

Holder of record for shortest time in elite (0 games)

One League to rule them all

One League whence to find them

One League to rate them all

Elite to Rookie, Grind them

(With apologies to J.R.R.Tolkien)

ImageImageImageImage

BA Nimzomitch

10 Jan 2008, 15:32 #7

Well maybe it wouldn't be very useful, but it could come into play on some themed games or even the new multiplayer games, where you might want someone to be able to put HQs but not soldiers into a particular area.
Image Image ImageDA's left nut